Welcome to Superfoodista!
This site is about easy and healthy recipes – mainly for delicious dishes to be cooked at home, but not exclusively. The goal is to offer to my readers various types of recipes for a better life, of which good food of course is one of the main pillars! In addition, I am also going to feature some of my travel discoveries that I will make around Superfoods.
Since I have seen the movie “Food matters”, I am more than ever convinced about the saying “you are what you eat”. If you only give junk to your body, there is not much good you can expect in return. It’s like a car you only fuel with the cheapest and worst quality gasoline – it might strike one day and break down. This is definitely not, what we want to happen with our body.
After watching this movie, I recalled a time in my life, I was eating quite badly. Not necessarily junk food, but I ate almost no cooked vegetables, a lot of white bread which was low in fiber and plenty ready-made meals – in other words, very little home cooking. I think I was really busy at the time with work and I was just not paying too much attention to what I was eating and I took no time to cook some good meals at home in the evening. During this time, I was sick a lot, had lots of trouble with a sore throat and in general didn’t feel that good and energetic. I am now certain that my poor health was directly connected to what I was eating – or rather NOT eating at that time. I also recalled that after this episode, I started to do more home cooking, especially adding more vegetables and whole grain to my diet and it made me feel so much better!
However, I am a also a strong advocate that food should be mainly TASTY! Because, eating is such an amazing thing and should give us joy, which is as important for our health and happiness.
So taking all the above together, brings it really to the essence of the blog:
- I wanted to create a small database of yummy, traditional, Asian and Fusion recipes and updates of newly created recipes. The recipes are not about being low calories, non fat, vegan, raw or following any dietary restrictions.
- However, whenever possible, I will mention possible substitutes to make it for instance vegan, gluten- or lactose free.
- The principle of the recipes is simple, they all contain at least one Superfood, but you will be surprised how many of them you are already using in your kitchen anyways.
- There might be only a few additional ingredients that you will have to purchase additionally to make this recipes. Because Superfoods are actually nothing else than natural foods that have been available all these years. Some have just been rediscovered, especially the ancient grains. Living in the US, I feel they are made really widely available, while in Europe you might have to go look for them in specialty health food stores.
- I will also try to make as much as possible from scratch, using as little premixes as possible, following the principle of “clean” cooking
- Lastly, all recipes will be easy and fast to prepare – I promise! None of us really has the time to spend hours in the kitchen to prepare a meal.
You will see how many easy and healthy and most importantly, tasty recipes are out there! By making sure we are adding more Superfoods to your diet, we will make it healthier and hopefully, as a consequence, our lifes better. To find more about what Superfoods are, please browse in the dedicated pages. However, since I am not a nutrition expert, I kept the descriptions really short and added links to more “professional” sites for those readers that would like to know more details. The pages should rather provide you with a good list and overview of all the fantastic Superfoods out there so you can ramp up your shopping lists!
The pure nature of this site is about sharing cooking recipes and other recipes for a better life. There is no scientific guarantee of the content, as I am not an nutritionist nor medical expert. All information is taken from the web or books and sources used are cited.
Recipes are mostly created by me, many of them based on the wonderful inspirations of other recipe sites. Photos are all taken by me and cannot be used without my permission. Please respect my work and where re-use is granted it would be amazing if you could give me the credit for them 🙂 Where images are borrowed from other sites (mainly on the pages where you can find information about the Superfoods), it would be stated in the sources information.